Stephen provides legal counsel with respect to all construction matters, including contract drafting, payment and lien issues, and dispute resolution. He represents general contractors, subcontractors, small and mid-sized companies, and homeowners in a variety of construction and business-related disputes. He is also the firm’s appellate practice group leader.
Stephen has been recognized as “One to Watch” in Construction Litigation by Best Lawyers in America since its inaugural issue in 2021. He has also been named as a “Texas Rising Star” by Super Lawyers since 2022. Stephen currently serves on the council for the HBA Construction Law Section.
Stephen is a frequent author on pressing issues impacting the construction industry. He is actively involved in the Houston community and serves on the St. Thomas High School alumni board. Outside of work, Stephen enjoys hunting, playing basketball and golf, and whittling down projects on the home front. A native Houstonian, he and his wife, Bethany, are avid travelers and diehard Aggie and Houston sports fans.
- Obtained a $544,000 arbitration award for a gas station owner and operator based on counterclaims against the general contractor.
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict and final judgment for a real estate developer against the Harris County Appraisal District in an appraised value review lawsuit concerning multiple properties.
- Drafted successful motion for summary judgment for national window manufacturer in breach of contract and breach of warranty lawsuit alleging product defect.
- Represented a subcontractor in a lawsuit against the general contractor for non-payment and defended against counterclaims.
- Obtained a take-nothing arbitration award for commercial general contractor where claimant originally sought more than $20 million.
- Drafted a successful summary judgment for a contractor on affirmative claims of fraud and theft liability act against an out-of-state real estate developer resulting in a final judgment of more than $200,000.
- Organized and developed defense strategy for subcontractor client in claims brought by over 100 homeowners against it related to flooding during Hurricane Harvey. In doing so, took the depositions of dozens of plaintiffs.
- Obtained final judgment of more than $4 million and permanent injunction for subcontractor client against an individual trying to defraud the company.
- Houston Bar Association
- St. Thomas High School Alumni Board, Vice President 2022-2023, Secretary 2019-2021
- Texas Aggie Bar Association
- Baylor Law Review: 2013-2015
- Author: “Keeping ‘standing’ and ‘capacity’ in a Breach of Contract Case Separate,” by Stephen A. Dwyer, 2021
- Author: “Tiptoeing Liability Trouble in Texas,” by Stephen A. Dwyer, 2021
- Author: “The New 18.001: Navigating the Deadline Revisions,” by Stephen A. Dwyer, 2020
- Speech: “AIA 201: General Conditions,” HalfMoon Education Seminar, 2019
- Speech: “Presenting a Jury Case: Behind the Scenes,” Foundation Performance Association, March 2019
- Speech: “Presenting a Jury Case: Behind the Scenes,” Forensic Expert Witness Association, August 2018