Stephen provides legal counsel with respect to complex construction and commercial litigation issues. He is experienced in a broad range of civil litigation matters, and routinely takes depositions and participates in trials and arbitrations.
Stephen assists companies in handling commercial and residential construction disputes, business formation issues, contract drafting and review, employment contracts, personal injury matters, and litigation. He has also handled appellate matters. He regularly represents general contractors, subcontractors, developers, and homeowners.
Stephen is a frequent author on pressing issues impacting the construction industry. He is actively involved in the Houston community and serves on the St. Thomas High School alumni board. Outside of work, Stephen enjoys hunting, playing basketball and golf, and whittling down projects on the home front. A native Houstonian, he and his wife, Bethany, are avid travelers and diehard Aggie and Houston sports fans.
- Obtained a $544,000 arbitration award for a gas station owner and operator based on counterclaims against the general contractor.
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict and final judgment for a real estate developer against the Harris County Appraisal District in an appraised value review lawsuit concerning multiple properties.
- Drafted successful motion for summary judgment for national window manufacturer in breach of contract and breach of warranty lawsuit alleging product defect.
- Represented a subcontractor in a lawsuit against the general contractor for non-payment and defended against counterclaims.
- Obtained a take-nothing arbitration award for commercial general contractor where claimant originally sought more than $20 million.
- Drafted a successful summary judgment for a contractor on affirmative claims of fraud and theft liability act against an out-of-state real estate developer resulting in a final judgment of more than $200,000.
- Organized and developed defense strategy for subcontractor client in claims brought by over 100 homeowners against it related to flooding during Hurricane Harvey. In doing so, took the depositions of dozens of plaintiffs.
- Obtained final judgment of more than $4 million and permanent injunction for subcontractor client against an individual trying to defraud the company.
- St. Thomas High School Alumni Board member: 2015-today
- St. Thomas High School Alumni Board, Executive Board Secretary: 2019-2021
- Texas Aggie Bar Association Annual Conference Committee, member: 2018-2019
- Baylor Law Review: 2013-2015
- Member: Construction Law – HBA
- Member: Texas Aggie Bar Association
- Author: “Keeping ‘standing’ and ‘capacity’ in a Breach of Contract Case Separate,” by Stephen A. Dwyer, 2021
- Author: “Tiptoeing Liability Trouble in Texas,” by Stephen A. Dwyer, 2021
- Author: “The New 18.001: Navigating the Deadline Revisions,” by Stephen A. Dwyer, 2020
- Speech: “AIA 201: General Conditions,” HalfMoon Education Seminar, 2019
- Speech: “Presenting a Jury Case: Behind the Scenes,” Foundation Performance Association, March 2019
- Speech: “Presenting a Jury Case: Behind the Scenes,” Forensic Expert Witness Association, August 2018
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch – 2021-2022
- Best Law Firms, US News, 2020 – present
- Baylor Law Review, Articles Editor