Francis is a native Houstonian with proven courtroom experience in both civil and criminal courts. Francis routinely represents general contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, developers, insurance companies, owners and individuals in complex litigation, insurance defense and worksite accidents. Known for his “straight talk” communication style, Francis is a strategic legal advisor to his clients that prioritizes their business objectives.
Francis has drafted and successfully argued countless motions and taken numerous depositions. He has also obtained successful trial verdicts for his clients, both as a first chair and second chair attorney.
Prior to joining West Mermis, Francis served as an Assistant District Attorney with the Harris County District Attorneys’ Office. During his tenure, he tried twenty-seven felony and misdemeanor cases. His case docket focused on construction litigation, with a significant portion of his cases concerning business litigation and personal injury defense.
Francis served on the Board of the Houston Bar Association Construction Law Section for seven years, culminating in serving as the Chair of the Board. He is on the Board of Directors of Big Brothers Big Sisters Lone Star and served as a “Big” mentor for ten years. A graduate of Washington & Lee University and Washington & Lee School of Law, Francis is actively involved in the Washington & Lee alumni association
- Successfully defended a general contractor against a catastrophic personal injury lawsuit based on Chapter 97 of the Civil Practice and Remedies Code where the plaintiff sought over $40 million at trial and the jury assigned zero liability to the client.
- Represented a publicly traded, former Fortune 1000 national company servicing electrical networks to residential, commercial, and industrial markets against a catastrophic personal injury lawsuit.
- Represented a national window manufacturer in a product defect case against the property owner of a luxury multifamily apartment complex.
- Represented an interstate sulfur refinery company in a personal injury lawsuit stemming from a workplace injury.
- Represented a plumbing subcontractor in a multi-million dollar residential construction project against the homeowner.*
- As an Assistant District Attorney at the Harris County District Attorney’s Office, obtained a guilty verdict at trial of an assault against a police officer felony case.
* An asterisk denotes experience performed by one of our lawyers at a previous firm
- Author: “The Effect of the Special Legislative Sessions on Your Trial Date,” by Francis D. McWilliams IV, 2021
- Author: “Simon Says: Time is of the Essence,” by Francis D. McWilliams IV, 2021
- Author: “Force Majeure and Rolling Blackouts,” by Francis D. McWilliams IV, 2021
- Author: “Working Through Covid-19: OSHA Guidance for Your Law Firm,” by Francis D. McWilliams IV, 2021
- Author: “Force Majeure and Coronavirus,” by Francis D. McWilliams IV, 2020
- Author: “The Overlooked Construction Claim: Disruption,” by Francis D. McWilliams IV, 2020
- Author: “Top 6 Practice Tips for a Virtual Arbitration,” by Francis D. McWilliams IV, 2020
- Speech: “Key Clauses in Construction Law Contracts,” Houston Paralegal Association, 2020
- President, Houston Bar Association Construction Law Section 2021- 2023
- Secretary-Treasure, Houston Bar Association Construction Law Section 2020-2021
- Best Law Firms, US News, 2020 – present