Larry is a founding partner of West Mermis PLLC who is known for his proven courtroom experience in construction and commercial litigation. He has tried cases throughout the State of Texas. For more than thirty years, Larry has successfully represented general contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, developers, insurance companies, owners and individuals in complex commercial litigation, construction defect litigation, business litigation, insurance defense and worksite accidents.
Larry has been routinely recognized in multiple industry publications including Martindale-Hubbell, The Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers.
Larry is a frequent speaker on risk shifting provisions in commercial contracts, business litigation and construction litigation topics. He is very active in the Houston legal community, and with the University of Texas. Larry currently serves as the Firm’s managing partner.
- Successfully defended a multifamily apartment developer against a subcontractor stemming from the construction of 70 townhomes and over 300 apartment units.
- Successfully defended a national general contractor against a homeowner association of an 800-unit luxury condominium complex in a $12 million dispute over water intrusion during Hurricane Ike resulting in summary judgment to the client.
- Successfully defended a general contractor against a catastrophic personal injury lawsuit based on Chapter 97 of the Civil Practice and Remedies Code where the plaintiff sought over $40 million at trial and the jury assigned zero liability to the client.
- Successfully argued a motion for summary judgment for a highway construction company in a catastrophic personal injury lawsuit based on Chapter 97 of the Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 500 energy producer in a workplace injury claim filed by one of its subcontractors.
- Member: Chancellor’s Council Executive Committee – The University of Texas System (2006-present)
- Member: UT Austin Development Board (2013-present)
- Member: Chairman, Chancellor’s Council Executive Committee – The University of Texas System (2015-2016)
- President: President, UT Austin McCombs Business School Parents’ Council (2014-2016)
- Member: Board of Trustees, Episcopal High School (2010-2014)
- Member: Board of Directors, Houston Country Club (2007-2010)
- Member: Board of Directors & General Counsel, Post Oak Little League (2005-2009
- Member: Board of Directors, Post Oak YMCA (2000-2008)
- Admitted: U. S. District Court, Western District of Texas, 1992
- Admitted: U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1991
- Admitted: U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 1990
- Admitted: U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, 1989
- Admitted: Texas Bar, 1988
- Member: Life Fellow of both the Houston Bar Foundation and Texas Bar Foundation
- Member: Construction Law Section – TADC & IADC
- Member: Construction Practice Group – DRI
- Member: Construction Law Section – State Bar of Texas
- Member: Associated General Contractors – Texas Chapter
- Co-Author: “The Independent Injury Claim Against Subcontractors and The Law of Unintended Consequences,” Texas Construction Law Journal Winter 2021
- Speech: “Preparing the Expert Witness for Deposition” 2020 FEWA National Conference, September 2020
- Co-Author: “Condominium Construction Defect Litigation Looks to Cool Off Following Mosaic Residential Appellate Decision,” Texas Construction Law Journal, Summer 2019
- Author: “Texas is Dropping the Hammer on Condo CDL Claims,” CLM Magazine article, Summer 2019
- Author: “Condominium Construction Defect Litigation Looks to Cool Off Following Mosaic Residential Appellate Decision,” Texas Construction Law Journal, Summer 2019
- Author: “Top 10 Provisions in a Residential Construction Contract,” Client Presentation, 2018
- Speech: “Presentation Tactics in Trial and Arbitration,” Forensic Expert Witness Assoc., April 2016
- Speech: “Construction and Insurance Law Update,” USLAW, Spring 2016
- Speech: “Additional Insured Tenders,” USLAW, Fall 2014
- Speech: “Cross Examining Experts,” JTWT, April 2014
- Co-Chair: USLAW Spring Conference-Construction Track, Miami, FL, April 2014
- Speech: “Managing Experts,” HBA Construction Law Section, March 2014
- Speech: “Risk Transfer for Construction Accidents,” USLAW, Spring 2013
- Author: “Texas Anti-Indemnity Statute,” USLAW, Spring 2013
- Speech: “Requirements for Additional Insurance Coverage,” IADC, August 2012
- Author: “Risk Shifting Provisions in Commercial Contracts,” IADC, August 2012
- Author: “Checklist for Preparing an Expert Witness for Depo,” IADC Newsletter, May 2012
- Co-Author: “Compendium of Texas Construction Law,” USLAW, Spring 2012
- Speech: “Top 10 Provisions in a Construction Contract,” USLAW, Spring 2012
- Speech: “Preparing the Expert Witness for Deposition,” FEWA, Spring 2012
- Speech: “Dallas Cowboys Practice Facility Collapse,” Phoenix, AZ, Spring 2011
- Speech: “Making an Additional Insured Claim,” Phoenix, AZ, Spring 2011
- Co-Author: “Compendium of Texas Construction Law,” USLAW, Spring 2010
- Author: “The Texas Two-Step: The Latest Attempts to Avoid Application of the Economic Loss Rule,” by Lawrence J. West